Thought for the Day (or a few days)

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Earthquakes






While we were there we had an earthquake or aftershock each day. I think there was one day when we did not have some movement. The first one occurred towards afternoon, evening and I only really heard a sound as I was busy getting the people organized by room and name onto paper so we would have some kind of record who was in our area and names. I was in the last room when I heard a noise and a woman grab her son who had a full leg cast and possibly a broken pelvis and started dragging him out side. He was crying I thought from pain but I realized it was most likely from fear. Everyone had terror in their face and started grabbing their loved ones to get them outside, no matter the injuries all were dragged from the room. A man jumped from the second story of the building. I stood there with other nurses and doctors watching the scene. I felt the fear they had and imagined the big quake and what must of been felt that day. It brought tears to my eyes and we all just watched the commotion and the fear. As it was getting darker they had sheets up for some protection around their areas. They were very close together and started to sing. A whole group, a large group of people singing acapella the same song. It was something I just can not explain. We then with out head lamps went out and checked every single person to make sure they were not injured more and had their folder with them. I learned throughout the week that they were very good about keeping that folder near and close.

No comments:

Post a Comment