Thought for the Day (or a few days)

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

New Friends






We made so many new friends! The other nurses were amazing. we all worked so well together and enjoyed each other's company. The Hatians were also amazing as when we got there there were not many smiles! As we cared and touched them and helped they improved and smiled, I think Jeanette was actually laughing at me most of the time as I tried to mimic her Creole. Her daughter Bridgette advanced so fast and was walking using crutches! (She had a broken pelvis) Mryline had such a big smile and a cell phone. She said she would call me! I am not sure how that will go and she spoke no English and I said my Creole is not! I love the phrase "Pa gen problem." No problem and used it frequently. Nadia and her neighbor Stephanie were our princesses and made us smile with their contagious smiles. They were in constant pain but smiled when they saw us and held our hands. Nadia love to kiss my hand and just hold it stroking my fingers. I took care of her after surgery and as she woke up she was praying to Jesus and reliving the trauma of the earthquake. She was on the stairs and lost her son and whole family to the quake. She cried and raised her arms and hands praying to Jesus and asking for mercy. I cried as she was coming out of sedation and held her. She said she had a book, a bible, it was her protection but could not find it. Stephanie t shared her bible with Nadia and you should of seen how she cherised that book, feeling it protection! Another woman next to Stephanie was trapped for five days and knew English well, which I did not know. I looked at her and told her how beautiful she was and she answered, "yes, I am beautiful." I laughed and enjoyed her answers to my statements of her beauty." All of these people were beautiful, inside as well as out. I had a sweet older lady, she had to be over 90, with a broken pelvis and she was blind with no family. When the people were inside the rooms of the orphanage building they all took care of each other no matter who they belonged to. I lost her in the mass exodus when the first aftershock occured and then lost her again in the chaos and commotion. I did find her to have no one taking care of her. She was by herself in a room with no one around. Allison an American nurse from Honduras sat next to her for hours trying to get her to eat and gave her fluids.

No comments:

Post a Comment